Monday, May 14, 2012

QP Card 203, better color than Colorchecker Passport

I've been using the XRite Colorchecker Passport for about 6 months now and it's been good so far.  Aside from the standard color patches, it has a strip of colors for portraits to allow a range of cool to warm tones.  So I often use it for headshots, etc. and just click the white balance tool on these patches to go from cool to neutral to warm very quickly and easily.

I've also used it to make camera profiles using the included software.  Now this is where things go awry.  After creating and applying a profile with the Colorchecker, the colors always seemed way too saturated for me.  I dealt with it for a while while shooting still life, but it's intolerable for skin tones.  At first I thought it was just me, so I tried several times to make a more accurate and neutral profile, to no avail.

I did some searches and found other people complaining of oversaturation with the Colorchecker Passport.

This led me to the QP Card.  The QP (or Quality Proof) card is made by a small company in Sweden.  Their latest card is about half the price of the Colorchecker Passport, and from reading reviews on the web it seems the profiles it generates are more color accurate and definitely more neutral than the Colorchecker profiles.

I'm definitely going to pick one of these up and will post my results.

Here is the link to the QP Card:

http://www.qpcard.com/en_b2c/products-on-index/qpcard-203-book-colorcard-profile.html

No comments:

Post a Comment